Yesterday my husband came home for lunch!! It was so exciting; I felt like I'd won the lotto.
When you have a treat as wonderful as his presence, you can't serve peanut butter sandwiches. So I started brainstorming. One of my neighbors (they really are dear ladies) had brought me some huge Portabella mushrooms, and I'd made a fresh batch of these beauties that morning.
Inspiration? Inspiration? My muse had left me, so I went to Swagbucks (and won 8 points for the search) and discovered Grilled Portabella Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions and Avocados.
They were very quick and simple to make (about 10 minutes on the gas grill while the onions caramelized). I made some changes to the original recipe (reflected in the directions below).
I could definitely see these on the menu for Fridays.
Eyes wide open, two head nods while looking down to the left. (Translate: perfection)
Grilled Portabella Mushrooms with Caramelized Onions and Avocados
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 pat butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste
- 1 avocado
- 1 ripe tomato
- lettuce leaves
- 4 large hamburger buns
- Scrape out the dark muddy gills of the mushroom (optional), brush both sides with olive oil and salt lightly. Broil or grill mushrooms on both sides until just tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, cook onions in butter/olive oil over medium heat until very tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 12 minutes. Season to taste.
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit, and peel and cut into slices. Slice tomato.
- Toast buns. Top bun bottom with grilled portabella, 1/4 of the caramelized onion, lettuce, tomato, and avocado slices. Spread top of bun with mayonnaise and top the sandwich.
What are you making this Tasty Tuesday?