Grievous sin of food blogging: I'm going to post a recipe without a picture. It just never occurred to me to take a picture of Brussels sprouts before, but after yesterday's post I thought I should share them.
No, they don't taste like little t-bone steaks, but they would be a great side for a grilled steak. I've had many avowed Brussels sprouts haters eat these with gusto and ask for seconds.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Recipe adapted from All Recipes
* 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, sliced in half lengthwise
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter
* (optional) tablespoon or two of bacon grease
* 2 small red onions, cut into strips
* 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoon white sugar
* salt and pepper to taste
1. Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 8-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender yet crisp.
2. Melt the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions and 3 tablespoons vinegar; cook until onions brown.
3. Add the Brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until the Brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized.
(Usually I add a little more sugar while cooking, and some crumpled bacon at the end).
What have you made lately?